Best Engine Stands
Engine stand is a crucial tool for every car repairs, because not only it can hold an engine much longer than hydraulic hoists, but it also allows to easily access the engine block from various positions as well as move it from one place to another. Here is a list of the best engine stands that will make the next engine repairs much easier.
JEGS 80040 1000 lb Engine Stand
This engine stand is produced by a car part and equipment powerhouse company called JEGS. It has been working for over 55 years now manufacturing and distributing everything car related from apparel to suspensions to different equipment, including engine hoists and stands of highest quality. And the JEGS 80040 engine stand is no different. Made from high tensile steel that is molded in square tube shape giving the stand durability and ability to hold engines that weights up to ½ ton of 1000 pounds.
On top of that there are additional features to this engine stand that make it stand out. This stand has a mounting head with a rotatable mounting plate that can be turned 360 degrees with the help of the handle that is located behind the engine stands head and equipped with two rubber grips for easier handling. It allows you to turn the head in the angle you need and comfortably work on the engine that is placed on the stand. Also there are 4 fully adjustable mounting arms that can be tailored to a specific engine not limiting the types of engines you are able to mount on the stand. Just keep in mind that the bolts to attach the engine to the mounting arms don’t come with this stand and you will need to purchase them separately.
The stand comes with standard one leg and 4 caster configuration with each of the 4 wheels rotating 360 degrees that adds to the stability of the stand as well the maneuverability of it because you will be able to easily move it around and steer it in the direction you need.
Size of this engine stand is about 27.5×29.5×33 inches and it weight around 48.4 pounds so it can be easily disassembled for storage purposes and assembled back up in minutes when the stand is needed again.
- Made from sturdy and tensile material to ensure the stability of it
- The head of the stand is rotatable 360 degrees allowing for easy access to all sides of the engine
- 4 casters lets you move the stand around easily
- It is easy to assemble and disassemble the stand so it can be taken apart and stored away only to be reassembled in minutes when it is needed again
- Can hold an engine that weights up to ½ ton or 1000 lbs.
- There have been some problems for those who have purchased this stand with mounting holes not lining up upon assembly, however thanks to the amazing JEGS customer service these problems are always resolved in a timely manner
Performance Tool 1000 lb W41025 Engine Stand
Another great engine stand that is able to hold engines that are ½ ton (1000 lbs.) or heavier is this W41025 engine stand by a company called Performance Tools and Abrasives. The distributor company of this stand has over 20 years of experience in wholesales of different abrasives as well as different tools including engine stands.
This particular performance tool will be great for anybody who needs equipment to hold an car engine and work with that engine because this heavy duty tubular steel engine stand will not only be stable offering no room for a chance that it can fall over or not hold the engine but it also have some extra features that makes it even more comfortable to work with it.
Not only the mounting plate of the stand’s head can rotate full 360 degrees with the help of the padded rotating handle behind the stand’s head allowing you to turn your engine in any direction you need, but it also locks in 6 different positions using the lock pin facilitating the engine repairs even more because you can lock the engine in certain positions and securely work on it without having to hold it in place. The mounting fingers are adjustable so that they can fit all kinds of engines no matter if the engine is made in the U.S., Europe or Japan. And the design of this engine stand is made so it has one main leg and four industrial grade casters to help with the moving of the stand where the two front ones even swivel 360 degrees letting you move the stand around without problems.
Although it is not possible to fold this engine stand it still is only 35×8.2×8 inches in size and it weighs about 50 lbs. so you will be able to store it away when it is not needed and it won’t take up a lot of space in your garage or other storage room.
- Can hold an engine that is up to ½ tons (1000 lbs.)
- The price of this engine stand is very low compared to other engine stands of this capacity
- Made from heavy duty tubular steel so it will be reliable and stable
- The mounting head as well as two front casters rotate 360 degrees making it simple and easy for you to work with this engine stand
- Don’t recommend to place engine blocks that are heavier that the 1000 pound capacity on this engine stand because in that case the welding spots can fail and you can end up with your engine on the floor
Torin T23401 750 lb Engine Stand
For those who are repairing lighter engines and who simply doesn’t need an engine stand that can withstand huge weights this one could be worth looking into because this T23401 engine stand is a Torin brand stand that can hold engines up to 0.375 tons or 750 lbs. As you might guess the manufacturer and distributor of these stands is Torin who is one of the largest garage equipment manufacturer in the world. This firm operates all across the world from China to California producing only the best and top quality products.
As I mentioned before this engine stand is made for engines that weights up to 750 lbs., however, that doesn’t mean that this engine stand doesn’t come equipped with different features that help the user of this stand to operate it and to work on the engine that is mounted to the stand. For example this stand has a rotatable mounting head with a comfortable handle to do it that will make it easy to turn the engine that is on the stand in all different ways in order to work on it. And the mounting arms also are adjustable so you will be able to adapt the engine stand to most engines that are not over the capacity of 750 lbs.
The stand is made from sturdy steel that is painted in red color to ensure the integrity of this engine stand. Because it is a smaller capacity stand it features a single leg and 3 caster design with the one front caste being able to turn in 360 angle for easier steering of the stand.
Dimensions of this stand are 33x30x34 inches meaning that even though it cannot be folded it will still be small enough to be stored away when not used and because it weighs 44 lbs. it will be sturdy enough to withstand the force of 750 lb. engine and not to tip over from its weight.
- Perfectly suited for smaller engines and can hold an engine with the capacity up to 750 lbs.
- Because it is a smaller capacity stand it is also cheaper than most engine stands
- It will be easily assembled and won’t require a lot of work to do it
- The stand is small enough so it can be stored away without disassembling it
- If you need and engine stand of bigger capacity them this stand won’t meet your requirements
- The mounting head doesn’t lock, but it is easy to make adjustments to the head and drill a hole on top of it to make space for locking pin that will resolve this problem
OTC 1726A 1000 lb Engine Stand
Then there also is this OTC engine stand that is a stand made for heavy usage and constructed to be able to withstand the weight of smaller to medium engines. The manufacturer for this engine stand is called OTC Tools that recently became a brand of the trusted company by the name of Bosch. This OTC brand supply equipment and tools for vehicle diagnostics and servicing including engine maintenance tools like this engine stand.
Because this is a ½ ton or 1000 lb. capacity engine stand it is suited to be used for repairing anything from passenger car to smaller truck engine blocks making it a versatile and very useful tool for any and all mechanics. And to be able to hold that heavy of engines it is made from high tensile tubular steel that will be able to withstand the weight of the engine while keeping the stand stable.
This engine stand is designed so that it has a one leg with 4 casters that help to keep the stand upright. The two front wheels are able to rotate 360 degrees which helps with the steering and moving of the engine stand but the two rear wheels can be locked in place to ensure that the stand stays anchored in one spot and you can securely work on an engine. Also the head and the stand part that is attached to the head is tipped back when there is no engine on it ensuring that once you place and engine on the stand the engine isn’t tipping down making it harder to work on it.
Some of the characteristics that you will find on this engine stand are the mounting head that is rotatable 360 degrees with the help of the long turn handle behind it as well as it can be locked in place in eight different positions using the lock pin that will help to make the rebuilding of the engine more comfortable. And the 4 arms on the mounting plate, too, are adjustable to mount most engines on them quickly and easily.
And for times when the stand needs to be stored or transported there is easy one-bolt disassembly system incorporated in the design of this 46x36x28 inches engine stand so even the 106 lbs. of steel that makes up the weight of the stand don’t stand in the way of you getting the engine stand where you need it.
- Sturdy design and heavy duty manufacturing material makes this stand reliable as well as suitable for heavy use
- Quality of this engine stand is better than most stands on the market
- The capacity of this engine stand is ½ ton (1000 lbs.) so you will be able to use it to repair smaller to medium size engines
- The disassembly of this stand is as easy as taking out one bolt so it the stand will be ready for storage or transportation in seconds
- Because of the quality of the stand, that won’t fail you even after day to day usage, the price of it is higher than most engine stands of this capacity
Torin T26801 1500 lb Engine Stand
If all the previous engine stands catered towards engines of smaller capacity engines then this engine stand is one that doesn’t hold back in terms of how much weight it can take. This engine stand is made to hold engines even up to ¾ of a ton or 1500 lbs. in weight so it can be used not only to rebuild motors of passenger vehicles but also for you to be able to start dabbling in repairing engine blocks of bigger cars.
This engine stand is able to hold that much weight because of the construction and manufacturing materials of it. The producer of this stand, one of the biggest equipment manufacturers by the name of Torin, has designed this stand from tubular steel that is not only high tensile but also square shaped so it would distribute the weight of the engine evenly and be able to hold that much weight.
But the secret of this stand being able to hold 1500 lbs. is not only in the material it is made from. The construction of the engine stand itself, too, plays a major part in the stability and durability of it. This stand has one leg design but it is shaped in “H” shape and there are 5 casters under the leg to help keep the stand upright but to also keep it moving when necessary. And the top part of the stand is slightly tipped back with additional steel detail at the bottom of it so once an engine is mounted to the stand it doesn’t tip forward too much but is in the just right height so anyone could comfortably work on the engine.
Additionally the three front casters are able to move in all directions that will help with the steering of the stand even if there is a 1500 pound engine block on it. And speaking of 360 degrees the head of the engine stand too is rotatable 360 degrees by using the handle that is behind it, but if necessary it also can be locked in place with the help of the lock pin so that you can turn your engine in any direction you need and secure it in place so that you can safely repair it. And of course the 4 mounting arms, too, are adjustable to simplify the process of mounting an engine on the stand.
When this engine stand is assembled fully its size is 32x33x35 inches but it also can be easily folded by lifting up the front part of it and then it shrinks to a compact 16x33x35 inches size so you can store it anywhere there is place. And luckily the stand is only about 77 lbs. in weight so the storage won’t be as hard as it might seem for such a heavy duty engine stand.
- This stand is able to hold engines up to ¾ ton or 1500 pounds in weight so will let you work on larger engines, too
- It has 5 wheels for extra stability as well as easier maneuverability
- The stand can be folded by lifting up the front part of it efficiently shrinking its size in half
- The head of the stand rotates 360 degreed and also can be locked in any position by using the lock pin
- The price for this stand might seem pretty steep form some
JEGS 80059 1000 lb Engine Stand
For an engine stand with extra features for even more comfortable and easier use this one could be what you are looking for, because this engine stand by JEGS a company with more than 55 years of experience in engine hoist and stand manufacturer has a few extra features that makes working with this engine stand more pleasurable.
This engine stand is made from heavy gauge steel that is sturdy and reliable enough to be able to hold engine from very small ones to those that are ½ ton or 1000 lbs. in weight. Because of that you can use this stand for large variety of different engines not limiting yourself to being able to work only on small and light engine blocks.
Although the design of this engine stand is quite similar to that of other stands with the same capacity, however, this one has multiple things that makes it sturdier and superior to those other ones. Even though this stand, too, is made from heavy gauge steel and the construction of it also features one leg with two extensions forming “H” shape, the joints where the metal parts come together are reinforced with additional plates to keep them together and keep the engine stand from bending or tipping from the weight of the engine. Moreover there are 4 casters under the engine stand and two front ones swivel in 360 degrees aiding in the moving of the stand and letting you easily steer it in the right direction.
But the biggest thing that differs this engine stand form other ones actually is located on the head of the stand. The mounting arms are adjustable so you can make them fit whatever engine you want to work with in the range of the capacity of this stand, and of course the mounting plate is rotatable 360 degrees. But the real kicker is in the way you can rotate it. If regular engine stands have a simple handle made from steel tube that you need to manually rotate to turn the engine stand’s head then this stand has a gearbox which makes to job of rotating the head and the engine that is mounted on the mounting arms that much simpler. You just turn the handle of the gearbox which is clad with soft grip material for easier handling, and the mounting plate will turn, but as soon as you stop rotating the engine the gearbox will make sure to lock that position thanks to the auto lock mechanism in it so you can safely work on the engine in your desired angle without having to hold it in place or worrying that it will turn in a different angle.
And this JEGS 90 pound engines stand also is foldable so you can fold it from its full working size of 34.3x36x36 inches to a bit smaller size of 34.3x36x21 inches so it better fits in any storage space you have.
- Made from heavy duty steel with additional steel plates placed on the joints to endure the durability and stability of the stand
- The head of the engine stand not only rotates but you can do it by turning the handle of the gearbox of the stand which makes the rotating of the stand much easier that it is to other stands
- The gearbox also locks in place as soon as you stop rotating it so you can safely and securely work on the engine without having to worry about it moving
- There are 4 casters under the engine stand that allows you easily move the stand around and the two front wheels swivel in 360 degree angle to help with the steering of the stand
- Because there is a gearbox to help with the rotation of the stand’s head instead of manual rotating mechanism the price of the stand is higher than it is for other similar models
- If you need a stand solely for holding the engine while you are doing repairs then you might want to consider a cheaper alternative because then you won’t need the gearbox and other features that this stand has
Performance Tool W41031 1250 lb Engine Stand
For heavier and bigger engines you might want to consider this engine stand from performance tools because not only it is able to withstand larger weight it also has some comfort features that will make it more simple for you to use this stand while you are repairing an engine. This stand is distributed by Performance Tools and Abrasives who are one of the larger lifting tool sellers who offer many different equipment suited for mechanics.
As I already mentioned this engine stand is able to hold bigger engines for two reasons. Firstly the maximal capacity of this stand is 0.625 tons or 1250 pounds giving you the ability to place engines of this or smaller capacity on this stand and surely work on them without being afraid that the stand won’t be able to hold the weight. And secondly the stand itself is made from a heavy gauge steel that is in tubular shape that provides the necessary construction to hold up to 1250 tons of metal car engine blocks.
Speaking about the construction of the engine stand, because this one is meant to hold heavier engines the stand’s body is in kind of square “U” shape that gives the stand the stability it needs to hold that much weight. And under both of the engine legs there are two casters making a total of four wheels with the two front ones being able to swivel in 360 degree angle aiding in the stability as well as in the movability of the stand so you can lead it to the place you need it without having to carry it which would be virtually impossible when an 1250 lb. engine is on it.
The other part of the construction of this engine stand is the head part of it. The mounting arms of the engine stand are fully adjustable so the stand is able to hold most types U.S. as well as other foreign engine blocks. And the mounting head where the mounting arms are, too, is adjustable and rotatable in 360 degree angle so you can turn your engine any way you like and need to more comfortably repair it. You can even lock the engine in 6 different positions using a lock pin that further facilitates that how easy it is to use this engine stand. On top of that there is also a sturdy tray made of metal above the rotating handle of the engine stand that allows you to place the tools or the parts of the engine on it and have them easily accessed whenever you need them.
This 7.7 lb. engine stand is easily assembled and even though you cannot fold it when you want to quickly store it, it still is only 35.2 x 8.5 x 8.2 inches in size so it will be easy to find storage space for it when you don’t need to use it.
- The stand is able to hold 1250 pound engines giving you the ability to do repairs even on bigger engines using the assistance of this engine stand
- Made from heavy gauge steel so it will be durable and really will withstand the weight of 0.625 ton engine without bending or tipping over
- The two front wheels swivel easily even when holding engine of the highest stand capacity providing easy moving of the engine stand
- There is an bonus feature in the shape of metal tray above the mounting mead rotation handle where you can place engine block parts or tools to have them at easy reach all of the time
- For some the welding spots might look a little less qualitative than they are for other stands, however I can assure that they are able to withstand engines that are up to 1250 lbs.
Omega 30750 750 lb Engine Stand
And last but definitely not least among the best engine stands there also is this Omega brand engine stand that outshine all other stand with its unique black and white design coloring. The distributor of this engine stand is the Shinn Fu Company of America or SFA Company for short that is one of the most recognized hydraulic lift equipment sellers.
This particular Omega engine stand is made from heavy gauge steel that is welded from square tubular steel making it able to bear weight that is up to 0.375 of a ton or 750 lbs. So if you are using this engine stand you can place on it engines that are this capacity or smaller giving you options as to what engines you can work on. But I wouldn’t recommend to place a bigger engine on this stand than those 750 pounds because the stand is not made for it and can give out or tip over.
However the engine stand is perfectly safe for the recommended capacity of 750 lbs. thanks to the construction and design of it. The engine stand has one main leg that is crossed with two extensions at each end of the leg giving the stand the ability to balance even when a heavy engine block is placed on it. And there are 4 casters under the engine stand that allows for easier transportation of the stand. Moreover the two front wheels even rotate in 360 degrees letting you steer the engine stand in the direction you need.
Speaking of rotation in 360 degree angle the head of the engine stand, too, can be rotated full 360 degrees so with this engine stand you will be able to turn your engine in any way you need and you can lock the head in 8 different positions that even further eases you job because you can fix the engine in a certain angle and work on it without the chance of it turning further. The turning of the mounting plate is done using the handle located behind the mounting head that has rubber grips for easier hold. And the mounting arms, too, are adjustable so you can make them fit most engines in 750 lb. capacity.
All you need to start using this 32 x 9 x 8 inch 54 pound engine stand is to purchase it and assemble it together so that it is ready to hold your engine while you are rebuilding or repairing it.
- Made from heavy gauge tubular steel that makes the stand stable and durable, able to withstand the weight of 750 pound engine block
- The mounting head is fully rotatable using the long and rubber grip equipped handle on the back of the head and it can also be locked in eight different positions
- The mounting arms, too, can be adjusted to fit most engines
- The design of the stand provides that it won’t tip over or break even if 0.375 ton engine is placed on it
- Some might find this engine stands capacity of 750 lbs. too small to be of use for them