Dragway Tools 3 ton engine hoist review
Dragway Tools is one of the best known engine hoist and other lifting equipment manufacturers and this is one of their heavy duty tools. This engine hoist can lift loads up to 3 tons (6000 lb). The regular lifting capacities of most engine hoists are from 1-2 tons (2000-4000 lb) so this is considered to a high capacity engine lift. Dragway Tools LD-3013 hoists will not only be suitable for lifting heavy engines and loads close up to 3 tons, but can also be used to lift heavy loads that are not easily accessible like for example engines located further into an engine compartment. Thanks to the high lifting capacity of this tool and an extendable boom, even with a fully extended boom the hoist can still lift loads up to 1 ton (2000 lb), which is the maximum lifting weight for some other lifters even with boom in drawn position. So if the engine you need to lift is located further into the engine compartment, or you need to lift heavy loads up to 3 tons (6000 lb) this cherry picker will be suited for you.
Dragway Tools has made this hoist from a premium quality steel, which provides durability for this hoist even when working with extremely heavy loads. Other parts of this hoist like boom, boom extensions, legs and leg extensions are also made from the same steel material. Two supports plates on the side of the hoist provides more stability and durability when lifting higher loads. On the side of the hoist there is a mount where you can store the pumping bar. One thing that this hoist lacks is a moving handle on the back of the hoist, which makes the movement of the hoist easier when it carries a load, especially if it needs to be used on a softer surface. Other than that, the hoist provides excellent durability and quality, so this tool should last you for a long time.
The LD-3013 engine lift is equipped with a durable 12 ton (24000 lb) hydraulic jack. The ram works in the same way as other hydraulic jacks, for lifting a load put the pumping bar into a mount located on the bottom of the ram, pumping of bar will lift the load. To lower a load turn the valve that is located on the same side of the pumping bar. Turn the valve slowly to decrease pressure inside the hydraulic jack, which will lower the load.
Legs and wheels
The hoist has got two extendable legs, both legs and leg extensions are made from a durable steel. To provide more durability of the tool legs cannot be folded as with other engine hoists. Legs can be extended from 55 inches (139 cm) to 89 inches (226 cm), which will provide more stability of the hoist if it is used with an extended boom. The distance between right and left outer leg is 32 inches (81.3 cm).
Hoist is equipped with four casters, two on the back and two on the front under the legs. 4 inch rear wheels provide 360 degree rotation and 6 inch front wheels can only be moved to front and back. This does not give the hoist the greatest maneuverability, but it should fit most needs.
This 3 ton engine lifter is equipped with an extendable boom with four extension positions:
- 3 ton (6000 lb), boom length – 55 inches (139 cm), 72 inches (183 cm) from ground to hook;
- 2 ton (4000 lb), boom length – 60 inches (152 cm), 76 inches (193 cm) from ground to hook;
- 1.5 ton (3000 lb), boom length – 68 inches (173 cm), 80 inches (203 cm) from ground to hook;
- 1 ton (2000 lb), boom length -75 inches (191 cm), 84 inches (213 cm) from ground to hook.
At the end of the boom there is a steel chain and a 0.375 inch (9.52 mm) forged steel hook, where lifting chains and load leveler can be mounted. Length of the chain and the hook is 11 inches (28 cm).
Size and weight
Dimensions of engine the hoist are 30x57x65 inches (76x145x165 cm). The weight of the tool is 325 lb (147 kg). Manufacturer Dragway Tools gives this hoist a 1 year warranty.
- High lifting capacity up to 3 tons (6000 lb)
- Lifting capacity of extended boom – 1 ton (2000 lb) is larger than the base lifting capacity of some engine hoists
- Extendable legs provide more stability when lifting load with an extended boom
- Stable and sturdy design, with premium quality steel frame and parts
- High capacity hydraulic jack with 12 ton (24000 lb) lifting capacity
- Cannot be folded in the same way as other engine hoists
- 4 casters and only two with 360 degree rotation limits maneuverability of the hoist
- Does not have a moving handle